After battling with long illness, Former President of India Shri Pranab Mukherjee passed away today at Army Research and Referral Hospital Hospital, Delhi. The reason of his death is known to be lungs infection. Mr. Mukherjee was also tested COVID-19 positive. He was 84.
Mr Mukherjee served as 13th President of India from 2012 to 2017. He also served as Union Minister of Finance, Defence, External Affairs and Commerce.
Let us look at his remarkable achievements and life history:
1. He was born in the small village of Mirati in Birbhum District of West Bengal as son of freedom fighters, Kamada Kinkar Mukherjee and Rajlakshmi. He acquired a Master’s degree in History and Political Science as well as a degree in Law from the University of Kolkata. He then embarked on his professional life as a college teacher and journalist.
2. Mr Mukherjee in 1969 entered into full time public life following his election to the Upper House of the Parliament. Under the mentoring of late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, Mr Mukherjee’s rise in his political career was rapid. He served as Union Minister of Finance, Defence, External Affairs and Commerce. Mr Mukherjee was also Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission. He was elected to Rajya Sabha five times and twice to Lok Sabha.
3. Mr Mukherjee served as Leader of both houses of Parliament. He had extensive diplomatic experience and served on the Board of Governors of the IMF, World Bank, Asian Development Bank and African Development Bank. Mr Mukherjee was instrumental in spearheading critical decisions of the Government on a range of issues such as Administrative reforms, Right to Information, Right to Employment, Food Security, Energy Security, Information Technology and telecommunication and setting up of UIDAI.
4. He was a member of the Congress Working Committee, the highest policy making body of the Party for a period of 23 years
5. Mr. Mukherjee was awarded Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award of India in the year 2019 for his outstanding contribution to the nation.
Messages of condolences have started pouring from all over the world. The Prime Minister has expressed grief over his death on his twitter handle
India grieves the passing away of Bharat Ratna Shri Pranab Mukherjee. He has left an indelible mark on the development trajectory of our nation. A scholar par excellence, a towering statesman, he was admired across the political spectrum and by all sections of society. pic.twitter.com/gz6rwQbxi6— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 31, 2020
Vladimir #Putin sent a message of condolences to President of India Ram Nath Kovind and Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi following the death of former President of India Pranab Mukherjee.https://t.co/dQKD1cetbP pic.twitter.com/TQ8kIM4cj6— Russia in India (@RusEmbIndia) August 31, 2020
As a mark of respect, a 7 day state mourning will be observed till 06th September. During the State mourning, the national flag will be flown at half-mast throughout the country, where it is regularly flown. During this period there will be no official entertainment.